NewsFlow – Writer Info:
NewsFlow is the computer program that provides the
connection between your story in a standard word processor (Word recommended)
ASSIST News website and mailing lists. What follows is how that connection
We encourage feedback from writers regarding the NewsFlow System. Comments, questions and suggestions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Writer’s Setup Information (We will send you a password):
1. Name for byline – see sample at the top of any story on the above link.
2. E-Mail Address
3. Brief Bio – see sample at the bottom of any story on the above link.
4. Picture for Bio, jpg min 20K please
5. Phone # and/or SKYPE name
Writer's Menu, it’s for you to use.
1. Writer's Input Form - submit stories
2. Update Account info - change password, update email address, byline, and home when needed.
3. Biography Maintenance - edit biographies when needed
4. Article Tracking - History of recent stories submitted, released, and published.
5. Search Archive - special search, not available to public, of older ANS stories.
6. System Description - Understanding and using NewsFlow.
7. Send Message to Editor - a link to Dan's email address
8. Send Message to Webmaster - a link to Ken's email address
Story outline and content assumed by NewsFlow
1. Please save your story as “Plain Text” before pasting into NewsFlow. If “Plain Text” is not available, save your story in “Notepad” before pasting into NewsFlow. This or an equivalent process to remove formatting characters is essential.
2. U/L case headline – See sample
3. Location (Dateline)
4. Sub-headline (optional)
5. The story itself
6. Note: NewsFlow automation will assume the 1st paragraph of your story is the lead paragraph.
7. Optional references
8. Picture(s) – caption(s), story position(s), file name(s), and jpg approx. 20K please.
9. Notes to the editor
Using NewsFlow (password required)
1. Please click the following link to the ANS Writer’s Portal http://www.assistnews.net/ANS/index.htm and select Writer’s Menu.
2. Find and select your name in the list and enter your password. The Writer’s menu will appear. Note, NewsFlow will remember your password for 24hrs. Also, the links on the Writer’s Menu are for your use.
3. Select “Quick Input Form”, enter your story and press submit. The Writer’s Input Form will appear. Note, two screens are presented for the writer’s use. First the Quick Input Form to enter your story and second the Writer’s Input Form (a full featured editor) for adjustments and to enter and position pictures.
4. Only four steps.
Quick Input Form
Writer’s Input Form
The details on the last two steps.
Adding Pictures (in 9 easy steps)
What happens next to my story?
It is presented to the Editor who will make distribution and website category decisions.
The webmaster will position your story on the website where it will remain until pushed off by later releases.
It will be added to the permanent library where it can be found by ANS search.