Sunday, February 9, 2014
The Beatles Bible Quiz: Part 1
By David Buckna
Special to ASSIST News Service
CANADA (ANS) -- February 7, 2014, marked the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' arrival in America. February 9 marked The Beatles' first live US television performance on the Ed Sullivan Show (CBS), watched by approximately 73 million viewers, making it one of the seminal moments in television history.
1. What song on the Beatles' 1963 UK album, Please Please Me, mentions dancing?
2. What's the opening line of “Misery”?
3. What do “Boys” and “A Taste of Honey” have in common with Solomon's Song of Songs?
4. Which Beatle took the lead vocals on “Devil in Her Heart”?
6. What was the first Beatles song recorded using four-track equipment?
7. How many times is “yeah” heard in “She Loves You”--9, 19, or 29 times?
8. From the 1964 UK album, Beatles for Sale: “And from above you sent us love... And the night you don't come my way/I pray and pray more each day/'cause we love you.” To whom is this addressed?
9. What was the working title of “Yesterday”?
10. What song title on the 1965 album “Rubber Soul” is the French feminine form of Michael?
I Saw Her Standing There
2. “The world is treating me bad, misery.” Proverbs 15:15: “A miserable heart means a miserable life; a cheerful heart fills the day with song.”
3. All three songs mention a kiss. Boys: “My girl says when I kiss her lips/Gets a thrill through her fingertips”. A Taste of Honey: “I dream of your first kiss, and then, I feel upon my lips again/A taste of honey... tasting much sweeter than wine.” Song of Songs 1:2: “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth--for your love is more delightful than wine.”
A Taste of Honey
4. George Harrison. The song was originally Devil In His Heart, and performed by the Donays, a 60's R&B group from Detroit. The song can be interpreted as a call-and-response between a lovestruck man and his friends, who are warning him to stay away from a certain woman:
Friends: She's got the devil in her heart
Devil In Her Heart
The song is reminiscent of Proverbs 7, where young men are warned of getting involved with an adulteress: “Now then, my sons, listen to me; pay attention to what I say. Do not let your heart turn to her ways or stray into her paths.” (Proverbs 7:24-25).
According to Philip Bailey, “Easy Lover”, the 1985 song he co-wrote with bassist Nathan East (and dueted with Phil Collins), is based on Proverbs 7.
Philip Bailey Duet with Phil Collins - Easy Lover
5. Money (That's What I Want). (Berry Gordy & Janie Bradford) which begins: “The best things in life are free/But you can keep 'em for the birds and bees/Now give me money/That's what I want”. John Lennon recorded a live version with the Plastic Ono Band on the album Live Peace in Toronto 1969.
Money (That's What I Want)
Jesus said: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.... No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Matthew 6: 19-21; 24)
6. I Want to Hold Your Hand, which became the Beatles' best-selling single worldwide. Isaiah 41:13: “For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”
I Want to Hold Your Hand
7. 29 times. In Genesis 24, Rebecca made a decision to marry Isaac even before she met him.
She Loves You
She Loves You
8. Mr. Moonlight (written by Roy Lee Johnson).
9. Scrambled Eggs. “Yesterday” is one of the most covered songs in the history of recorded music. The working opening verse was “Scrambled Eggs/Oh, my baby how I love your legs”.
In his biography, Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now, McCartney recalls: “So first of all I checked this melody out, and people said to me, 'No, it's lovely, and I'm sure it's all yours.' It took me a little while to allow myself to claim it, but then like a prospector I finally staked my claim; stuck a little sign on it and said, 'Okay, it's mine!' It had no words. I used to call it 'Scrambled Eggs'.” In a March 1967 interview with Brian Matthew, McCartney said John Lennon came up with the song's title.
Another Paul wrote in his letter to the Hebrews: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)
10. Michelle. “Michelle ma belle/These are words that go together well/My Michelle”
Michael comes from the Hebrew, meaning “Who is like God?”. The Archangel Michael is mentioned by name in the books of Daniel (eg. “one of the chief princes”), Jude and Revelation.
For further reference:
The Beatles Bible
Prof. Jacqueline Warwick on Beatles
The Beatles Wiki
Words of Love
The Beatles' U.S. Invasion
All You Need Is Love
Sgt. Pepper’s Bible Study
The Night That Changed America
It was 50 years ago last night
Beatlemania started in Canada
Celebrating The Beatles
Fifty years ago today, the Beatles gave birth to a new world
Stars line up to pay tribute to The Beatles
Louder Than Jesus: The Making & Breaking of Beatlemania
The Beatles Invasion, 50 Years Ago: Sunday, Feb. 9, 1964
A Rare Look at the Origins of Beatlemania: Watch the Throwback Footage
The Beatles 50 years later: How CBS is remembering the Fab Fourwww.cbsnews.com/news/the-beatles-50-years-later-how-cbs-is-remembering-the-fab-four/
1964: The Beatles conquer North America
Fans Honor 50th Anniversary Of Beatles’ First Arrival In New York City http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/07/fans-look-back-at-historic-beatles-performance-at-ed-sullivan-theater/
N.S. radio DJ may have been the first to spin Beatles on North American airwaves
Letterman interviews McCartney, Starr, for CBS's Beatles special: Clips www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/tv-zone-1.811968/letterman-interviews-mccartney-starr-for-cbs-s-beatles-special-clips-1.6981583
Essay: She Loves You (at 59:28) by Beth Kapla
“A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatle Song” [New & Updated Edition] by Steve Turner (Carlton Books Limited, 2005)
Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles (DVD, 2004). Includes the Beatles' four performances from '64 and '65, as well as other acts and original TV commercials.
David Buckna produces -- THE POP GOSPEL -- a column that communicates Judeo-Christian truth using a Q & A format. Questions are gleaneBeatles' 1963 UK album, Please Please Meic, literature, current events and other aspects of popular culture. Buckna's previous quizzes for ANS can be found at the ANS Search Archive page, searching for Buckna. Copyright 2014 by David Buckna. THE POP GOSPEL. All rights reserved. Used by permission. To obtain Q & A's for radio, television, newspaper, magazine, or e-zine, e-mail: email@example.com
See all ASSIST News articles at www.assistnews.net
** You may republish this story with proper attribution.
Tweet See all ASSIST News articles at www.assistnews.net
** You may republish this story with proper attribution.
Send this story to a friend.