By Dan Wooding, Founder of the ASSIST News Service
PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA (ANS – August 15, 2015) – North Korea has threatened to launch “indiscriminate” strikes against South Korea over Seoul’s latest propaganda loudspeakers in the border region.
According to a story by Vasudevan Sridharan in the International Business Times (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk), The threat has come after South Korea intensified its campaign over the landmine explosion in the heavily-guarded demilitarized zone (DMZ).
Following the mine blast, which maimed two South Korean troops, Seoul resumed its propaganda blitz via loudspeakers which had remained silent for more than a decade.
The story goes on to say that enraged by the high-decibel propaganda, the North said the broadcasts were tantamount to declaration of war.
“The resumption of the broadcasting is a direct action of declaring a war against the DPRK [official name of North Korea],” the Front Command of the Korean People’s Army (KPA) said in a statement released by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
“They should not forget that the KPA military action means indiscriminate strikes which envisage even possible challenge and escalating counteraction.”
The South Korean military blamed North Korean soldiers for the explosion after an investigation found that the troops had planted the mines on the southern side of the border.
KCNA added that if South Korea failed to stop the decibel assault, it would trigger “an all-out military action of justice to blow up all means for ‘anti-north psychological warfare’ in all areas along the front”.
The warning from Pyongyang’s military has come a day after it threatened to turn Seoul into a “sea of fire” if it did not halt a leaflet campaign by activists.
The KCNA statement on Friday, August 14, 2015, read: “The puppet forces should not forget even a moment that the whole of South Korea might turn into a sea of fire due to the foolhardy leaflet-scattering operations.”
“The latest increase in tensions has also occurred at a time South Korea and the US are set to begin their annual military exercise,” said Vasudevan Sridharan.
Responding to the North’s threats, South Korean President Park Geun-hye said: “Provocations and threats only lead to isolation and destruction. But if North Korea chooses the path of dialogue and cooperation, it can grab an opportunity of improvement of livelihood and economic development.”
Meanwhile, last month, North Korean leaders threatened the US that no Americans will survive if there is another round of war in the Korean peninsula as the country marked the 62nd anniversary of the armistice agreement, which ended the Korean War.
“The armistice day, touted as North’s victory against South Korea and the US forces, is marked on July 27, 2105) every year as it brought an end to the three-year war in 1953. Since it was not a peace treaty, the two Koreas technically remain at war,” said the International Business Times.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said, according to an official statement released by state television: “Gone forever is the era when the United States blackmailed us with nukes; now the United States is no longer a source of threat and fear for us and we are the very source of fear for it.”
The 30-something leader paid respects to his father Kim Jong-il and grandfather Kim-Il-sung – both former leaders – at the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun in Pyongyang where their embalmed bodies lie in state.
The US forces, supported by UN allies, backed the South Korean troops in the war, while the soldiers of China and USSR fought alongside North Korean.
Other North authorities have also used the occasion to step up the anti-US rhetoric condemning the “imperialist” US forces.
In another ceremony, the country’s top army general Pak Yong Sik, who is suspected to have taken over as the reclusive state’s defense minister, said: “It is more than 60 years since the ceasefire on [the] land, but peace has not yet settled on it. The past Korean War brought about the beginning of the downhill turn for the US, but the second Korean War will bring the final ruin to US imperialism.”
Photo captions: 1) Kim Jung-un. 2) The DMZ. 3) Dan Wooding and Dr. David Cho, picture by huge statue of Kim Il-Sung, the founder of North Korea.
Note: North Korea remains the world’s most restrictive nation in which to practice Christianity, according to the 2014 World Watch List released by Open Doors, a nonprofit organization helping persecuted Christians worldwide. The hermit kingdom is at the top of the rankings for the 12th consecutive year.
About the writer: Dan Wooding, 74, is an award-winning author, broadcaster and journalist who was born in Nigeria of British missionary parents, and is now living in Southern California with his wife Norma, to whom he has been married for 52 years. They have two sons, Andrew and Peter, and six grandchildren who all live in the UK. He has written some 45 books, and is one of the few Christian journalists to report from inside North Korea.
** You may republish this or any of our ANS stories with attribution to the ASSIST News Service (www.assistnews.net).