By Mark Ellis, Special to ASSIST News Service
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (ANS – December 8, 2015) — The San Bernardino terror couple who killed 14 at an employee holiday party last week had been extremists for an extended period of time, an FBI official told NBC News.
“As the investigation has progressed, we have learned and believe that both subjects were radicalized and had been for quite some time,” David Bowdich, the FBI’s assistant director in L.A., told reporters.
“The question we’re trying to get at is how did that happen, and by whom, and where did that happen. And I will tell you right now we don’t know those answers at this point,” he said.
In the days since Syed Farook and Tafsheen Malik attacked co-workers at their holiday lunch, authorities have been trying to determine why the couple acted with such wanton violence, and were even willing to leave behind a 6-month-old daughter.
The questions have focused primarily on Malik, 29, a Pakistani national who reportedly posted a Facebook message just before the attack pledging allegiance to the leader of Islamic State. She also posted extremist messages on Facebook before and after her arrival in the U.S.
But Bowdich said it is not clear whether anyone else is responsible for the radicalization, since it is possible to be self-radicalized via the internet.
Bowdich also revealed that Farook and Malik conducted target practice at local gun ranges prior to the attack, including a session a few days earlier, according to NBC.
He also said it was unclear whether anyone in the U.S. or outside the U.S. gave the couple direct help to carry out the attacks, which appeared to involve extensive planning and financial resources beyond Farook’s meager government salary. The fact that they destroyed their cell phones and computer hard drives leads some observers to believe they were involved with other extremists.
Indeed, Farook was in contact with individuals under investigation by government authorities.
Photo caption: The couple who terrorized a community.
About the writer, Mark Ellis is senior correspondent for the ASSIST News Service and also the founder of www.Godreports.com, a website that shares stories, testimonies and videos from the church around th world in world missions. He is also the clo-host for “Windows on the World,” with ANS founder, Dan Wooding, on the Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network (http://hsbn.tv/).
** You may republish this or any of our ANS stories with attribution to the ASSIST News Service (www.assistnews.net).